With a long history of innovation, Dundee plays host to vibrant, diverse and increasingly interconnected creative and tech sectors, home to some of the most exciting emerging companies in Scotland. This is all underpinned by a strong HE/FE sector, with the presence of Dundee & Angus College alongside two world-class universities. Abertay University has been a pioneer and leader in video games education for decades and has been repeatedly ranked as the top institution in Europe for video game design courses in the Princeton Review.
Games and Beyond: A Hub for Tech
Dundee’s world-renowned games sector has produced world-renowned hits such as Grand Theft Auto, and the console versions of Minecraft. A report by Centre for Cities noted that knowledge-intensive business service (KIBS) sectors like game and software development have been a key driver for growth in Dundee over recent decades. Beyond games, Dundee also plays host to top tech companies including Waracle, Brightsolid, and Broker Insights.
This culture of innovation is now extending to new areas, with Dundee increasingly becoming a hub for virtual production, virtual and augmented reality (VR/AR), and esports.
A Connected City
Dundee is one of the best-connected cities in the UK. As of Spring 2023, over 92% of premises can receive a gigabit-capable connection, the highest coverage in Scotland. With ongoing full-fibre and 5G deployments, residents and businesses will benefit from ever-faster, future-proof connections from an increasing range of providers.
A UNESCO City of Design
Dundee is the UK’s first and only UNESCO City of Design, centred around the striking presence of the V&A Dundee at the city’s Waterfront.
Projects and Highlights
- Create Converge, an EU project supporting the use of converging creative technologies to show, tell and sell.
- TayScreen, the region's screen office which supports development of the digital/screen sectors.
- InGAME, an R&D programme led by Abertay University promoting innovation and providing support to games companies and the wider creative industries sector.
- Abertay CyberQuarter, an £18m cyber security R&D centre that brings together students, academics, companies and other organisations together to solve global cybersecurity challenges.
- Tay5G, a £2m Tay Cities Deal project which aims to encourage and support engagement with 5G across sectors within the Tay Cities Region.
Find out more at Digital Dundee, a hub for projects and digital information related to Dundee and the wider Tayside region.