Dundee - A Smart City - The 8th City Programme
Digital technology is everywhere and is a key enabler of every aspect of life from work to travel, from leisure to health. A “Smart City” is one that leverages innovative technology and solutions, including the “Internet-of-Things" (IoT), digital connectivity and data to deliver solutions for diverse range of city challenges.
Dundee is a participant in the 8th City “The Smart City” programme, delivered in partnership with the Scottish Cities Alliance and Smart Cities Scotland, and supported by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
The city joined Scotland’s other cities in exploring how data, emerging technology and digital connectivity can be used to transform the way people live, work and travel.
These projects ran across a range of areas, including:
- Open Data
- Smart Waste
- Public Safety
- Smart Mobility – Parking/Car Clubs/Accessible EV Hubs
Digital and Physical Infrastructure to support a Smart City
Dundee is also building the infrastructure for the future, which will enable both improved connectivity for residents and businesses, as well as enabling city services and providing a range of options for testing and deploying innovative new smart city solutions.
- The installation of a cutting edge 5G R&D testbed at Dundee’s Waterfront, designed to test the next generation of city
- Free public Wi-Fi across the Central Waterfront area.
- Commercial full-fibre and 5G deployments – over 92% of premises in the city can receive a gigabit-capable connection.
- Four EV Charging Hubs located throughout the city - including a new hub on Clepington Road designed to follow PAS 1899:2022 standards for accessibility.