Drawing on the brightest minds from home and abroad, the city offers a diverse and motivated workforce. A globally recognised centre of academic and research excellence - the dedication to education is evident in the breadth of academic offering.
Dundee has Scotland's highest student population ratio, at 1:5, which is also one of the highest ratios in the UK. The city has two universities - the University of Dundee, which incorporates the Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design, and Abertay University, a recognised centre of digital and computer games innovation.
Dundee & Angus College, with two city campuses, offers award-winning Further Education, Higher Education and Vocational courses. The city also has the Al-Maktoum College of Islamic and Arabic Studies. The University of St Andrews is just 14 miles from Dundee.
Research & Teaching
Dundee is home to one of the UK's most exciting and dynamic biomedical and life science communities. The city offers a hub for world-class companies, universities, research institutes and scientists to work in collaboration, all within a five mile radius. This allows for sharing of information and skills and offers expertise from drug discovery, through medical devices and diagnostics, to ag-biotech and environmental biotechnology.
The James Hutton Institute is a well-respected and globally recognised research organisation, based at Invergowrie on the city's outskirts. Its postgraduate school generates valued recruits, with professional experience in a range of disciplines in environmental, crop and food science.
Ninewells Hospital is one of the largest teaching hospitals in Europe, and the attached University of Dundee School of Medicine has an international reputation for research and training.
Creative, Digital, Tech Dundee
Dundee pioneered education in video games, by creating the world's first computer games degree course at the University of Abertay, and is the location of one of Europe's most accomplished hubs for games and mobile digital content development. Already known as a leading centre for games, Dundee is rapidly increasing its profile in the wider creative technology sectors including software development, animation, VR, XR, AI, AR, data analytics, IoT and cyber security. Highlights include:
- Create Converge, an EU project supporting the use of converging creative technologies to show, tell and sell.
- TayScreen, the region's screen office which supports development of the digital/screen sectors.
- InGAME, an R&D programme led by Abertay University promoting innovation and providing support to games companies and the wider creative industries sector.
- Abertay CyberQuarter, an £18m cyber security R&D centre that brings together students, academics, companies and other organisations together to solve global cybersecurity challenges.
- Tay5G, a £2m Tay Cities Deal project which aims to encourage and support engagement with 5G across sectors within the Tay Cities Region.
Find out more at Digital Dundee, a hub for projects and digital information related to Dundee and the wider Tayside region.